I have begun a new stitching project. The design in by cozyblue and her finished product looks like this:
As always, I am learning a ton with this project. First, that someone with arthritis should consider the amount of precise work required to trace the pattern. My transfer is not great, and of course it effects the stitching. My mom uses iron on transfers, and likes them just fine, so I might give that a try, and there are always pre--printed options.
All these curves require small stitches, seriously small, smaller than I though possible. It is difficult to do such tiny stitches consistently, but I am getting better, and this project is going to give me lots of practice.
Order of operations is another thing I did not think about before I jumped in. Why did I start with the border? That makes no sense at all. This design has a bit of layering, so I need to start at the bottom, with "skin". On top of that is hair and a knit cap. The bottom of the cap is flipped up, so the top of the cap should be stitched first. The beard flows over the shirt, so the shirt needs to be done before the beard, with the mustache on top of that...I was so excited to get started that I did not take the time to thing about the proper order of operations, something I will be doing from now on.
Lastly, I hate this thread.
It is Aurofil, made in Italy, I do not remember where I bought it, but I have several colors. It is rough, more thread like than floss like, and it has a lot of twist, so it needs to be used very slowly in order to prevent tangles and knots. And worst of all, it still tangles and knots. Knots happen often and do not pull out the way that floss does. I am tempted to start over with a different thread, but do not want to do all the tracing again. Today I will see if there is way to tame the beast that is this thread. Luckily the cat does not mind when I swear.