I ordered the wrong transfer material. I thought I was ordering Sulky Solvy, but what arrived is Paper Solvy. The Paper Solvy works, but has a couple of problems. Tactilely it is not very pleasant, and I am unable to see the individual stitches clearly. Also, repeated poking around tears the paper just enough to poke up in a stitch. But it is what I have, so I went with it.
The original plan was to stitch each element separately, first the tree, then the leaves, and lastly the flower buds. But in order to spend as little time as possible with the Paper Solvy, I will instead outline the tree (I am using stem stitch), and fill in the leaves. Then I will remove the medium to finish filling in the tree and adding the flower buds.
The leaves are going quickly and I feel like I am getting the hang of satin stitch, at least in a small area. The trick seems to moving the thread the smallest amount from stitch to stitch, and only putting a stitch exactly where you want it. Good enough is not good enough. I will not know how successful I am until the paper is soaked off.
Tomorrow I will work the other half of the tree and then get ready for those crazy roots.